[tlhIngan Hol] I've had it with the finger verbs !

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Mon Aug 1 08:44:52 PDT 2016

ghItlh mayqel qunenoS:

> and here lies the heart of the problem.

> because numbers are confusing, the definitions of the finger verbs should not be given using numbering terms.

> the numbering system must either be used correctly, or not used at all.

Fortunately he has adhered to the numbering system you are familiar with in regards to the toes.  He has deviated in regards to the fingers, but he has given us the names of the fingers as well, so you can just ignore the numbers for the fingers.  However, the reason the confusion exists for the fingers is that the thumb is often not considered a finger in lay English (whereas the big toe is considered a toe).  Even in Gray's Anatomy, they often speak of "the thumb and fingers" and while the metacarpals are numbered and the rays of the foot are numbered all the way to the end, Gray's Anatomy never numbers the fingers, always calling them by their names instead.

Jeremy