[tlhIngan Hol] qep'a' cha'maH wej mu' chu' - New Words

Rhona Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 05:01:52 PDT 2016

ghItlhpu' qunnoq, jatlh:

> So, the way I *feel* this whole subject, is that the qep'a' new word,

> was actually only {chum} ;

Not quite. We already knew the word for "dawn" or sunrise - {jajlo'} - but {tlhom} "sunset, dusk" was not a word we already had. Presumably {tlhom chum} was simply an opportunity to showcase the use of both words at once.

Also, it can sometimes be helpful to distinguish dawn or sunset as a visual spectacle from dawn or sunset as a time, and perhaps that was the point of adding {chum}? {tlhom chum vIlegh} might be one way to disambiguate and say "I saw the colourful sunset", where {tlhom vIlegh} may be more often used to say "I saw him/her/it AT sunset". That's just a guess, but it seems possible.

QeS 'utlh