[tlhIngan Hol] The contradiction of {bortaS}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 8 06:16:58 PDT 2016

Lieven wrote:
> > By the way, I don't know for sure what "take revenge" means, but what
> > about {noD} "retaliate"?

SuStel:
> "Take revenge" has an important emotional component that "retaliate"
> lacks.

I'm not sure that's true of {noD}:

batlh Heghlu'chugh noDnISbe' vay'
An honorable death requires no vengeance. TKW

cheQIHchugh manoDbe''a'
Wrong us, shall we not seek revenge? TKW

nurraj nIHlu'ta'mo' manoD
We will avenge your stolen pride ["dignity"] (PB early draft)

le'yo'raj nIHlu'ta'mo' penoD jatlh qeylIS
And Kahless spoke to them ... about avenging their stolen pride PB

Klingons may not distinguish between the two ideas; that is, they may take all these matters personally.

--
Voragh
tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'