[tlhIngan Hol] Am I right here?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 29 07:39:39 PDT 2016

{jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'} has long confused people.  I’ve seen it translated inter alia as:

  “I don't know the area around here that I'm at." [qoror]
  "I'm unfamiliar with my surroundings."

My own explanation is that Okrand was trying to render something like “I don’t know where I am”.  Perhaps because of the confusion he came up with another variant in Power Klingon:

  DaqwIj vISovbe'
  DaqwIj Sovbe'   (Clipped)
  I am lost.  PK

literally, "I don’t know my location."  Note the similar line from ST6:

  Daq Sovbejbe'taH qIrq
  Kirk cannot know the location... ST6

--
Voragh