[tlhIngan Hol] {SorHa'} ? Of course.. But with jay' what ?

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Aug 19 09:28:45 PDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 11:50 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I guess the conclusion of this thread would be :
>
> "We can create metaphoric phrases, as long as each word within that
> phrase is used on its literal klingon definition ; we can't use single
> words metaphorically".

I don't even know how you would use a single word metaphorically.
Metaphor requires a juxtaposition of words that invites an implicit
comparison to something unstated. It usually suggests that two things
are similar in some way, but unlike a simile it doesn't explicitly
declare the resemblance.

Your proposed example of a "debt haircut" makes no sense to me. I
can't see how lent or borrowed money is in any way like hair. Looking
it up, I see that the term "haircut" has a specific meaning in the
financial context of a loan, but if the term originated as a metaphor,
the intended reference is unknown to me.

-- ghunchu'wI'