[tlhIngan Hol] {SorHa'} ? Of course.. But with jay' what ?

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Aug 19 08:39:30 PDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 8:08 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok, I'll play along..
> So, if I say : {toQDuj QuQ ruptaH pIvlob chorgh}
> you will accept it ?

"Warp factor eight taxes the Bird of Prey's engine."

Oh, I see what you're trying to do. You aren't using a metaphor.
Metaphor means applying a word to something that it doesn't normally
apply to, implying a comparison or analogy. An example would be "A
teacher plants the seeds of knowledge." Knowledge is not literally a
living thing that grows from a planted seed, but you should be able to
recognize an appropriate similarity with the phrase.

However, you are doing something entirely different. You are using a
word to mean something other than its definition. You are ignoring the
clarification that tells us {rup} means "tax" as in "impose a tariff
or duty", and you are trying to use another meaning of the English
word "tax": encumber, burden, overload.

Here's an example of metaphor in Klingon: {teSDu'wIj DuQ bo'Degh QoQ
'ej qa'wIj qajmoH.}

-- ghunchu'wI'