[tlhIngan Hol] qep'a' cha'maH wej mu' chu' - New Words

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 18 06:50:17 PDT 2016

There's also {choS} "twilight" - "evening" in TalkNow! - defined by Google as:

  the soft glowing light from the sky when the sun is below the
  horizon, caused by the refraction and scattering of the sun's
 rays from the atmosphere.

WikiPedia defines dusk:

  Dusk occurs at the darkest stage of twilight, or at the very end
  of astronomical twilight just before night.

--
Voragh

On Behalf Of SuStel
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2016 8:33 AM

Dawn and sunrise are not the same thing. Dawn is when the sky starts to brighten; sunrise is when the sun first appears over the horizon. The sky brightens before the sun appears.

Likewise, dusk and sunset are not the same. Sunset is when the sun disappears below the horizon; dusk is the period of not-quite-darkness after the sun disappears.

jajlo' dawn
jajlo' chum sunrise
tlhom dusk
tlhom chum sunset

These phrases seem backward to me, and I share your confusion. What is colorful about a sunrise that is not colorful about dawn?