[tlhIngan Hol] noH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 10 06:56:19 PDT 2016

qunnoq :
> the verb {noH}, means "to judge" as in
>
> a. I judge (estimate) that my dog must have eaten seven cats?
> b. don't judge (condemn) others, so that no one will judge
>    (condemn) you too?
> c. I will judge (impartially examine) the accused in order to
>    decide if he's guilty or not?
> d. all of the above?

De'vID:
>>> The definition given in TKD is "judge, estimate", so (a).

Lieven:
>> The canon example confirms this, but I do not remember it. Something like
>> {vaghSaD qelI'qam vInoH} "Estimating about 5000 kellicam"

  chorghSaD qelI'qam HIvchuq'e' vInoH
  Estimating attack range in 8,000 kellicams. ST5

AFAIK this is our only example of {noH}.

qunnoq :
> So, how do I say: "I will judge (impartially examine) the
> accused in order to decide if he's guilty or not"? Perhaps
> by the use of {nuD}? Or is {nuD} only to be used in reference
> to doctors?

nuD  		examine (v)

  nItlhejbogh petaQmey tInuD
  Look at these *p'takhs* at your side (PB)

AFAIK this is our only example.

>              Or maybe {poj} is better? Or is {poj} only to be
> used in reference to situations?

poj  		analyze (v)

  pojbeH
  (The device) is set up to analyze it. TKD

AFAIK this is our only example.

If you're talking about a military judge, there's the two-syllable verb {ghIpDIj} "court martial".  (AFAIK no examples are known.)

Some Klingon judges are called {loHwI'} "magistrate":

  loHwI' vISuch 'e' vIpoQ!
   I demand to see the magistrate! (ENT "Affliction")

FYI, Archer's trial for conspiring against the Klingon Empire and fomenting revolt was presided over by a magistrate. (ENT "Judgment")

The verb for what a magistrate does is {loH} "administer" - administer justice?  (No examples of the verb known.)

Another type of judge is the {'oDwI'} "arbitrator, arbiter" (specifically, {cho' 'oDwI'} "Arbiter of Succession"):

  yejquv DevwI' moj ghawran 'e' wuqta' cho' 'oDwI' Dapu'bogh
   janluq pIqarD HoD.
  Gowron... named leader of the High Council by Captain Jean-
   Luc Picard, who was acting as Arbiter of Succession. (S25)

What an {oDwI'} does is arbitrate/mediate {'oD}.  (No examples of the verb known.)

SEE ALSO (in no particular order):

loy 			guess (v)
wuq 			decide (v)
chov 			assess, evaluate, test (v)