[tlhIngan Hol] [Tlhingan-hol] Liquid Nitrogen

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Aug 5 08:08:40 PDT 2016

On 8/5/2016 10:56 AM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Rhona Fenwick <qeslagh at hotmail.com
> <mailto:qeslagh at hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Perhaps I'm being influenced by English, where "water ice" is used
>     to speak of frozen water as opposed to frozen methane, carbon
>     dioxide, or so forth, particularly in reports of planetary
>     exploration and such. But {bIQ chuch} feels natural to me for this
>     meaning in Klingon too, and certainly {chuch bIQ} feels entirely
>     wrong.
>
> Saying {bIQ chuch} for "water ice" seems very redundant to me (the
> English does too) as "ice" is the name for the solid form of "water".
> I don't think this slang should be carried over into Klingon.
>
> To talk about the solid state of other types of matter we should use
> {lep}. We have words for all the states now:
>
> Plasma - lI'choD
> Gas - SIp
> Liquid - betgham
> Solid - lep

Outside of everyday usage, English uses /ice/ to refer to any substance
that is normally thought of as non-solid when it has been made solid. We
use /ice/ instead of some other word because water is the most common
substance that we regularly see become solid; we just apply that word to
other substances.

On the other hand, we have no idea whether Klingon *chuch* has the same
usage or can only refer to solid H_2 O.