[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: magh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 2 07:21:14 PDT 2016

> Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, August 02, 2016
>
> Klingon word: magh
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: betray

(KGT 147):  Probably because of the parallel formation of {bolwI'} and {maghwI'} ... the verb {bol} (drool) is sometimes used to mean betray, as if it were equivalent to {magh}. In this usage, {bol}, like {magh}, may take an object; that is, the sentence may indicate who is betrayed:  {mumaghpu'} ("He/she has betrayed me") or {mubolpu'} ("He/she has betrayed me"; literally, "He/she has drooled me").

  <numagh> (?)
  [They've betrayed us. (uncertain)] ST6

  ngoQvam luchavmeH ghawran maghpu' be'nI'pu'
  To this end, the sisters have acted against Gowron...
   in order to gain power. S26

  wo' Damagh 'ej bIHegh
  Die betraying the Empire. MKE

qorDu'wIj quvmo' jImaghpu'
  qorDu'wIj quvqa'moHlu'meH
  jIvang vIneH
The reason of my betrayal
  Was my family honor,
  I want to restore this honor.  (PB)

N.B. Do not confuse with the verb {magh} "indicate, reveal" or the new noun {magh} "Klingon plant resembling grass".

SEE ALSO:
'ur 		commit treason (v)
Daw' 		revolt (v)
choS 		desert (v)