[tlhIngan Hol] I've had it with the finger verbs !

Michael Roney, Jr. nahqun at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 08:39:17 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 5:13 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> When we talk about fingers at earth, we use this numbering :
>
> thumb or great toe = number one
> and THEN we say second finger/toe, third finger/toe etc.

I think I finally caught on on why you're confused.

When I talk about fingers, I don't use numbers.
So I was confused why you were talking about numbers.

Then I realized that the English glosses Okrand provided do, indeed number
the fingers.
I usually ignore them because I use the names of the fingers.

In America, and Okrand is American last I checked, we start counting with
our index/pointer finger.
That is, unless you're my wife or son, and then they start counting with
their thumbs...

The thumb isn't always considered a finger.
So one could say that Humans have 1 thumb and 4 fingers.

So if you were to count your fingers, you would start with the pointer
finger.

So my pinky is my fourth finger, final, and smallest finger.

Hope that helps.

~naHQun