[tlhIngan Hol] I've had it with the finger verbs !

Michael Roney, Jr. nahqun at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 04:51:34 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 5:13 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> When we talk about fingers at earth, we use this numbering :
>
> thumb or great toe = number one
> and THEN we say second finger/toe, third finger/toe etc.

When we talk about fingers, we use their names.
Thumb
pointer/index
middle
ring
pinky

The toes don't have names, but sometimes we apply the finger names to them.
Big toe, middle, toe, and little toe might be names, but they feel more
like descriptions to me.
And since we don't have set terms for the second and fourth toes, that
seems to point towards not having toe names.

> So, look at this and tell me what to think :
>
> {Qay'} (v) = use the little toe
> {qan} (v) = use the pinkie.
>
> Is the pinkie and the little toe the same ? Why can't we have a jay'
> clear and unambiguous numbering which could resolve this ?

No, your fingers and toes are not the same thing.
Your fingers are on your hands while your toes are on your feet.

> Perhaps I should flush the finger verbs down the toilet, together with
> the "mother's sister's husband daughter go figure" words..

The relationship words are very useful.

> nach velwI' qIj
>
> oh, and I forgot the following : {nan} (v) = use the fourth toe.
>
> So, what's referring to the little toe ? {Qay'} or {nan} ?

You just said that you start with the big toe as Toe 1, so how is "fourth
toe" confusing?
{Qay'} is your small toe or pinky toe or fifth toe.

~naHQun